PORTUGALPortugal’s fourth EU Council Presidency runs from 1 January 2021 to 30 June 2021.
- Challenges related to the Portuguese-speaking African countries with emphasis on Africa-EU relations, especially regarding the enabling environment for civil society, as well as youth and development and the deepening of the debates around the private sector’s role in development;
- digitalisation for sustainable development and the role of civil society organisations (CSOs);
- climate change and the 2030 Agenda.
Concerning these topics, special attention will be paid to investing in CSOs’ capacity building for the joint themes of the project, especially for subjects such as offical development assistance (ODA)), the Africa-EU Partnership and climate change. Regarding the relevance of digitalisation, the Portuguese NGDO Platform will promote critical thinking opportunities for CSOs to reflect on and to build common positions on the challenges and opportunities in this area.
The strengthening of CSOs’ capacities will enhance their contribution to the process of building civil society’s advocacy messages and their ability to communicate with the general public, thus promoting a better understanding of the issues related with the thematic priorities.
The awareness raising dimension within the project will be improved especially in regard to climate change and the 2030 Agenda, as the Portuguese NGDOs Platform will award a sub-grant for CSOs to develop awareness-raising activities with the youth on these subjects.
The Portuguese NGDO Platform will also carry out a consultation process with its member organisations and other CSOs in the country in order to set civil society’s priorities for the Portuguese presidency. The outcomes of this process will feed into the Platform’s activities during the six-month period and its exchanges with national and European stakeholders.
Events organised by the Portuguese NGDO Platform as part of the EU Presidency Project:
- Webinar – “Digital Opportunities and Challenges in International Development” – 24th of November 2020
- Webinar – “Towards an open, fair and sustainable Europe in the world – Priorities of the Portuguese EU presidency” – 12h of January 2021
- Webinar – “Development Cooperation: Trends and Perspectives” – 26th of March 2021
- Webinar – “The role of the private sector in the transition to a green, fair and sustainable economy” – 28th of April 2021
- Conference – “A Partnership of Equals: Africa-EU relations in an increasingly complex world” – 28th of May 2021
- Webinar – “The role of EU Council Presidencies in advancing relations with Africa” – 24th of June 2021
Created in 1985 by its member organisations, it responded to their need to position themselves as fundamental interlocutors of the Portuguese government and international organisations in the process of building policies in the areas of development co-operation, development education and global citizenship as well as humanitarian and emergency aid.
The Platform represents and supports Portuguese NGDOs at the national and international level, thereby contributing to strengthen civil society’s intervention in the areas mentioned above and to empower NDGOs in order to create a fairer and more equitable world.
Over the past few years, international relations have undergone important changes that have contributed to a complexification of the global governance system. The set of factors that contributed to this – along with a pandemic with terrible effects and...
On the occasion of the European Parliament's vote on the "Report on a new EU-Africa Strategy – a partnership for sustainable and inclusive development" (25 March 2021), the EUPP partner organisations from Germany, Portugal and Slovenia believe that the success of the...
On February 26th last, the High-Level Conference "Climate Change - New Economic Models" took place in the scope of the Portuguese EU Council Presidency. The Conference agrees with the priorities of the Presidency which focus on “fair, green and digital recovery” in...
A key priority of the Portuguese Presidency of the European Union under International Partnerships/Development Cooperation is to bring Human Development to the discussions held at the level of the European Council. Therefore, the work on the topic will be consummated...
Promoting gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls are essential aspects of truly fair and sustainable development. This concept is spelt out in the Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development which states that "fulfilling gender equality and the empowerment...
The Portuguese NGDO Platform organizes the webinar “Development Cooperation: trends and perspectives”, on the 26th of March 2021 from 9:30 am to 12:30 pm (GMT). Over the past years, global dynamics have undergone major changes that have contributed to a...